If you are an ice skating enthusiast, you know ice skating is fun. That is why you can carry ice skates anywhere, even on a plane.
Transport Security Administration (TSA) allows ice skates on a plane. Your skates could be on checked baggage in a carry-on bag.
You only need to ensure you pack your ice skates well and have them fit on the inspection airline.
Can you Bring Ice Skates on a Plane?
Can you bring ice skates on a plane? Yes, you can when the airport authorities allow it.
Though ice skates are not harmful to human beings, you’ll have to follow and abide by the airports’ rules and regulations.
- If you have several, you should assemble your ice skates in a plastic bag.
- Take off your ice skates before the airline checkpoint.
- Keep them away from people, especially children, to avoid some accidents.
- Check the size of your ice skates to identify them after a flight
Let us discuss each rule;
1. You Should Assemble Your Ice skates in a Plastic Bag if You Have Several
The safety of passengers matters a lot and includes individual responsibility.
When your airline allows you to carry ice skates, they instruct you to keep them away from people. They need to be packed well.
Ice skates could cause damage when they are scattered everywhere in a plane.
The sharp blades of ice skates might harm someone in an airplane. So, you need to keep them in one plastic bag to avoid such scenes.
Ice skate plastic bags like Athletico Ice & Inline Skate Bag, allow you to transport your ice skate with reduced maintenance. You can check it out on Amazon.
The bag is made up of a soft vinyl grating bottom to let air in, reducing corrosion risks.
Its grating thickness protects the ice skate from destructive objects.
The bag has clothes that safeguard the ice skates while traveling. They are kept around the bag for complete protection.
2. Take Off Your Ice Skates Before the Airline Checkpoint
Some airlines don’t allow you to move to the checkpoints with the ice skates.
Airlines attendants are available to help you take off your ice skates. They can also help your friend or your children if they have ice skate.
Inspection before starting a flight is strict. So, the attendants must check everywhere to ensure no one enters with a harmful substance.
3. Keep them Away from People, Especially Children, to Avoid Accidents
Children can be playful. They might fall on your ice skates and get hurt. You can prevent that by keeping them away and out of reach of children.
In the same way, anyone on the plane can slip and fall. If the skates are not kept well, passengers might fall on them. The skates also might cause falling when held on the way.
Ice skates are relatively heavy, and if they fall on someone’s head, they can cause severe injury.
It would help if you were responsible with your skates. You will prevent unnecessary accidents.
More reading>> is ice skating good for weight loss?
Should You Proof the need for Ice Skates?
If you must bring your ice skates on the plane, prove the use of the ice skates.
You can produce evidence of participating in a competition or any event. The proof is not a requirement but an advantage to you.
Traveling with your skating documentation shows the need to relocate your ice skates.
This documentation can make it easier to engage with immigration officers, saving you time.
Having your document serves as security. If you are traveling to an unusual location, you will grasp this better.
You must produce the relevant document besides your passport, ticket, and boarding card.
The document proofing the need for your ice skates is used here.
More reading>> Comparison between ice skating and rollerskating
Why would you want to bring ice skates on a plane?
There are a few reasons why you might want to get your ice skates on a plane;
- You may need them if you are traveling to a cold climate and plan on skating in the local rink.
- You may be visiting family or friends who have an indoor skating rink and would like to use it while you’re there.
- You may want to take your ice skates with you on a trip as part of your travel souvenir.
What is the procedure for checking in your ice skates?
When you check in for your flight, indicate that you are bringing ice skates.
The airline will usually have a small box or bag designated for this purpose.
You will need to fill out a form indicating the type and quantity of ice skates you are bringing and their size (length and width).
Please note that some airlines may require additional fees to transport your ice skates on the aircraft.
After checking in, keeping your ice skates enclosed in a protective bag or box is essential.
If you are flying with another person, please ensure that their ice skates are also packed and protected.
Do not leave them unattended in a check-in area – someone may steal them!
How do you know if your ice skates are damaged?
If your ice skates have been banged around or are otherwise visibly damaged, they must be brought in for inspection.
Airlines may require that you either toss the entire set of ice skates overboard or refrain from using them during your flight.
An airline may sometimes give you a partial refund – please check with the carrier beforehand.
What should I do if my ice skate doesn’t fit into my carry-on bag?
If your ice skate does not fit into a carry-on bag, a few options are available.
You can either try to check them as cargo on your flight or store them in a locker at the airport.
Please note that some airports do not allow ice skates to be stored in lockers, so please plan accordingly.
Tips for traveling with your ice skates
Here are more tips for traveling with your ice skates, regardless of the mode/means of transport;
- Keep them in a cool, dry place.-Do not pack the skates in with your other luggage.
- If you are traveling by air, take all your equipment with you, including skates!
- If you are traveling by train, pack the skates in your bag with the other equipment.
- If you are traveling by car, keep the skates in the trunk.
- If you are traveling by boat, pack the skates in a mesh bag and store them in a cool place.
- If your ice skates are damaged, do not use them and immediately bring them to a skating rink or store where they can be repaired.
- If you travel to a country where ice skating is not customary, consult your travel advisories before setting out on the ice.
- Be aware of local ice safety guidelines.
- If you are a beginner, consult an ice skating instructor before your trip.
- Take a travel insurance policy that covers ice skating equipment.
- If you are traveling to a cold climate, pack appropriate clothing and accessories.
- When you arrive at your destination, check with the local skating rink or store about ice availability and prices.
- If you are traveling on your own, have a map of the area and familiarize yourself with local landmarks.
- Be cautious when crossing busy streets and be aware of your surroundings.
- Finally, remember that ice skating is dangerous – always wear safety equipment and go only where it is safe to do so.
How to pack your ice skates for travel
Here’s how to pack your ice skates for travel;
- Pack the skates in a cool, dry place.
- Pack the ice skates in a mesh bag, so they are easy to access and don’t get damaged when traveling.
- Label the bag with your name, address, and phone number so you can easily find them if necessary.
- Consult your travel insurance policy about packing additional equipment such as helmets, knee pads, and elbow guards – these may be required by law in some destinations.
- When you are packing the skates, make sure to include a pair of socks and extra shoe laces.
- If you are traveling with other people, pack their ice skates!
What happens if your ice skates get damaged or wet while on the plane?
If your ice skates get damaged or wet while you’re on the plane, you may be able to claim a travel insurance policy that covers these circumstances.
You will need to file a claim with the airline and provide proof of purchase and photos of the damage/wetness. In some cases, a replacement set of ice skates may be offered.