Can you ice skate in jeans? As ice skating becomes increasingly popular, skaters everywhere are trying to figure out the best way to skate.
While there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, I’ll outline some key things to remember when skating in jeans.
Learn more about how to skate in jeans and stay safe!
Can You Ice Skate in Jeans?
Can you ice skate in jeans? Yes, you can ice skate in jeans, though it’s not a good idea, especially for competitive ice skating like professional figure skating.
Below is a quick rundown of why ice skating in jeans isn’t a good idea for professional skaters!
- Jeans absorb water from the ice
- Jeans take time to dry
- Jeans are made of heavy denim fabric
- Jeans don’t provide adequate insulation
let’s dive into the details!
1. Jeans Absorb Water from the Ice
One of the most significant disadvantages of skating in jeans is absorbing water from the ice.
This can cause your jeans to get wet and heavy, making it challenging to move around on the ice.
This is especially true if you’re skating competitively.
2. Jeans Take Time to Dry
Another big downside of skating in jeans is that they take time to dry.
If you get wet while ice skating, your jeans will stay wet for a long time, making them uncomfortable and cumbersomeness.
3. Jeans are Made of Heavy Denim Fabric
Another big downside of skating in jeans is that they are made of heavy denim fabric.
They can weigh you down and make moving around on the ice challenging.
4. Jeans Don’t Provide Adequate Insulation
One of the main reasons why skating in jeans isn’t a good idea is because they don’t provide adequate insulation.
While denim fabric can be warm and cosy, it doesn’t offer the same level of protection from the cold as other materials like thick sweaters.
Ultimately, ice skating in jeans isn’t a good idea for competitive ice skaters.
If you’re looking to enjoy skating on your own or with friends, then, by all means, try it out!
Ensure you understand the risks involved and take appropriate precautions to stay safe.
What is the best type of jeans to wear for ice skating?
Wearing the correct jeans when ice skating can make all the difference. Here are some tips to help you choose the best pair:
- Choose jeans with an elastic waistband, as it keeps your pants from slipping.
- It is crucial to find jeans that fit well. Try not to be too tight or loose, and ensure they are comfortable enough to wear for long periods.
- Check if your jeans are water-repellent.
Other Clothes to Avoid in the Ice Rink
It’s essential to be aware of other clothes best avoided when skating on the ice rink.
Below are the clothes you should avoid, whether ice skating indoors or outdoors.
Shorts are not the best clothing to wear when skating on ice.
Not only will you get freezing and wet, but they also make it challenging to move around.
A better option would be some form of clothing that is both comfortable and keeps you warm.
Wearing tight-fitting clothes like long tight pants when skating on the ice rink is uncomfortable and dangerous.
Not to mention, it can lead to injuries such as bruises, blisters or even frostbite.
Dresses and Skirts
Dresses and skirts are not the best to wear when skating in jeans.
Long dresses can quickly become twisted around your skates and cause you to fall.
Skirts don’t provide sufficient insulation to your feet when ice skating.
Thick socks are also not the best clothing to wear when skating on ice.
They can trap moisture in the socks and cause them to become heavy and uncomfortable.
Wearing lightweight socks is a better option when skating on ice rink floors or skating outdoors in cold weather.
Heavy jackets can also be a safety hazard when skating on the ice rink.
Not only do they make it difficult to move around, but they can also cause you to become too warm and heavy.
It’s best to wear light clothing that will keep you comfortable and not weigh you down while skating.
How to Dress for Ice Skating (for males/females)
Dressing for ice skating can be challenging but worth it in the end. Here are some tips to help you out:
- Choose clothing that will keep you warm, even when wet from skating. For females: – Choose clothing that will be easy to move and skate in. For males: – Wear sturdy shoes to avoid slipping and falling.
- Avoid tight-fitting clothes as they can cause chafing or blisters.
- Wear a coat if it’s cold outside.
- Skaters wearing skirts should try to wear leggings underneath, so their skirts will not ride up in the skateboarder’s wake during movements such as 360s, kickflips, and other spins & jumps. This will also help prevent embarrassing wardrobe malfunctions (i.e., sudden exposure to one’s underwear).
Appropriate Ice Clothing for Females
When it comes to skating, appropriate ice clothing for females is essential.
Skaters need to be able to move freely and skate quickly, so pants and leggings are not an option.
Female ice skaters should wear tights and leotards, especially if they do competitive ice skating.
Hats, scarves and gloves can also help keep skaters warm during long skating sessions!
Appropriate Ice Clothing for Males
Males skate in various clothing options, but pants and jeans are the most common.
Having good skating clothes is essential for males because they need to be able to move quickly and easily on the ice.
Breathable fabric allows skaters to stay cool while skating fast.
Headphone cables, bracelets or watches can also get caught on obstacles when skating, so it’s best to avoid these items.
Recommended Ice Skating Clothes
- Sweater: an overcoat or relatively light sweater will help out.
- Jacket: Ensure your jacket covers as much of your body as possible – especially your bum and chest.
- Denim Jackets
- Track Jackets/light jacket
- Long pants/ sweatpants/Leggings/yoga pants
- Ice skating helmet: to protect your head from injuries
- Knee pads: to protect your knees
- Gloves/mittens: always wear gloves to protect your hands from frostbite
- Hat and scarf
- Long-sleeved shirt/sweatshirt
- Figure skates/recreational ice skates/speed ice skates/ice hockey skates
- Rental skates if you don’t own ice skates
I did a complete guide to what clothes you should wear for indoor ice skating. You can read it here!
Can You Ice Skate in Jeans? FAQs
Is it hard to ice skate in jeans?
Most skaters find it easier to ice skate in pants than leggings or jeans shorts because they provide more flexibility and warmth.
What pants should I wear for ice skating?
When it comes to pants, the key is to go for a pair that fits well and will not restrict your movement.
Also, ensure they are waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about getting wet.
Can you wear baggy jeans for ice skating?
While wearing baggy jeans while skating on natural surfaces such as ice is not recommended, it may be okay to wear them if you use a rink with artificial turf.
Artificial turf typically contains more minor rubber pieces, allowing for more flexibility in your clothes.
What should you wear to ice skate?
You should wear appropriate clothing that is waterproof and breathable.
In addition, make sure that you have enough layers, so you don’t get too warm or sweaty.
When it comes to footwear, choose loosely fitting ice skates.
Can You Ice Skate in Jeans? Conclusion
Yes, you can ice skate in jeans! While skating in jeans may not be the most conventional skating attire for figure skaters, it is possible and can be a lot of fun for beginner and experienced skaters.
Remember to use caution when skating, and stay safe! Skaters who ice skate in jeans often wear thick socks to help protect their feet and ice skates.